Microsoft has recently announced the general availability of its new app ‘Microsoft Lists’ in Teams and in SharePoint on the web.
What is Microsoft Lists?
Microsoft Lists in a Microsoft 365 app that is designed to track information and organise work. Lists are simple, smart, and flexible, so you can stay on top of what matters most to you and your team. MS Lists can be a great alternative to Excel spreadsheets and apps used for tracking tasks, events and assets.
What can Lists be used for?
You can create and share lists that help you track issues, assets, routines, contacts, inventory, and more. Start from Lists home, Microsoft Teams, or SharePoint using ready-made templates.
Microsoft has created a range of click-to-edit templates that will enable you to access the productivity and management benefits of Lists in a timely manner. Examples include:
- Asset Manager: Track of physical assets that your team is using so you know who has which asset, which assets are in repair, and what the check-in and check-out dates are for each.
- Event Itinerary: Organise all your important event details in one place, so everything runs smoothly.
- Issue Tracker: Track, manage, and bring issues to a close by making it easy to set priorities in the status column and send notifications to team members when issues arise.
- Onboarding Checklist: Manage your new employee’s onboarding process and guide them through relevant contacts and resources.
- Work Progress: Track priorities and progress as you work towards delivering products and services.
You can customise these and create your own templates to fit your situation. You can also change the formatting to highlight important data, configure forms to see more at a glance, and set reminders to keep you and your team up to date. If the templates aren’t right for you, you can also build a list from scratch!
How to use Lists in Teams
We recommend referring to this quick click-through demo which shows how to use Lists in MS Teams:
- To start the demo, click ‘Begin demo’
- Press L to move the demo forward
- Press H to show/hide holo and description
- Press J to move demo backwards
- Press S to restart demo
The benefit of using Lists in Teams
The vision of the Lists app in Teams is to bring all the collaboration and communication assets to lists and list items, so it is easy to get work done. After you have created a List tab in Teams it is easy to have a channel conversation about a list item. With this feature, you can collaborate with your team and get work done, faster.
At IT Partners we have been using lists for several different purposes such as keeping track of our Product Development progress and the whereabouts of our loan equipment.
As an example, a snippet of our Loan Equipment Register can be seen below:
If you would like to learn more about how we use these tools to aid our productivity we would be more than happy to provide a demonstration! Or if you are have trouble using Lists and require guidance on how to organise your content in Microsoft 365 to maximise the Lists functionality, please get in touch with our Microsoft experts via Email or call 07 957 2650.